Spaghetti with meat sauce
- 255 grams dried spaghetti
- 255 grams ground beef
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 1/2 small carrot peeled and grated
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 400 grams canned whole tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1) Add the bacon to a pan over medium high heat and fry until a good amount of fat has rendered out of the bacon. Add the ground beef and brown it, breaking up the meat with a spatula until it's cooked. Transfer the meat to a bowl, leaving as much of the fat as you can in the pan.
- 2) Turn down the heat to medium low. You should have about a tablespoon of rendered fat in the pan, if you have significantly more or less, dump some out or add some olive oil. Add the onions, carrot and garlic, and sauté until the onions are soft and the mixture is about 1/3 of its original volume. Depending on how small you diced your onions, this should take anywhere from 10 to 15 minutes.
- 3) Turn up the heat to high, then return the meat to the pan. Add the white wine and boil until there's almost no liquid left, stirring to prevent burning. This not only burns off the alcohol, it concentrates the flavor of the wine.
- 4) Turn down the heat to medium-low and add the canned tomatoes, ketchup, salt and pepper. Put the oregano in the palm of your hand, and then use your other hand to rub the oregano in a circular motion to crush it into a powder before adding it to the pan. Use a spatula to break up the tomatoes.
- 5) To a pot of boilling salted water, add your pasta and stir during the first few minutes of cooking to keep it from sticking together.
- 6) When your pasta is cooked, drain in a collander. Then, you can either plate the pasta and top with the sauce, or add the pasta straight into the sauce and toss it together before serving.
- 7) Sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese on top and ENJOY !
- 4 pieces salmon, 200g each (skin removed)
- 1 thinly sliced leek
- and/or 4 green onions
- dill or parsley
- 4 tbsp. extra vigin olive oil
- Lemon zest
- Pinch of salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 4 sheets, 8"x10" parchment paper
- 1) Place one piece of salmon in the centre of each sheet of parchment paper.
- 2) Top with 2 tbsp. of thinly sliced leeks and/or green onions, some chopped parsley or dill, E.V. olive oil, salt and pepper and some freshly grated lemon zest.
- 3) Wrap each parcel by folding and tucking the excess paper securely. Wraps may be frozen at this point and used when needed.
- 4) Place each wrap in a covered glass dish and microwave… *2 min. (power high) per portion (from fresh) *3 min. (power high) per portion (from frozen) (DO NOT OVERCOOK)
- 5) Open each package (AS SHOWN IN PHOTO).
- Serve with steamed rice or baked potatoes and a fresh salad.
- N.B.: *Time varies when cooking more than one salmon wrap